the MicroDose Dry Powder
Inhaler (DPI) and Dry Powder Nebulizer (DPN)
Game-changing technology shift in dry powder delivery
Through the innovative use of off-the-shelf, state-of-the-art electronics, MicroDose has created the premier next-generation Dry Powder Inhaler (DPI) and the first ever Dry Powder Nebulizer (DPN) for respiratory delivery of drug powders. Utilizing a high frequency piezo transducer and other electromechanical elements, the MicroDose DPI and DPN achieve: superior dose delivery efficiency that is flow rate, orientation, and coordination independent. And achieves all this in battery operated, handheld, low-cost, reusable, multi-unit dose, devices.
What Makes the MicroDose Inhalation Systems Unique?
- Highly efficient piezo driven action
- Flow rate and orientation independent delivery
- Coordination independent breath activation
- Simple three step operation
- Formulation and design flexibility
- Delivery to all patient populations from infants to the elderly
- Moisture and light protective blister system
- Electronic dose feedbacks and dose delivery confirmation
- Real time compliance tracking and monitoring features
- Broad applicability for both small and large molecules
How Do the MicroDose DPI and DPN Work?
The drug powder is protected in a blister from the environment until delivery. Upon actuation the blister is opened and placed in contact with a piezo vibrator. When the patient inhales an airflow sensor automatically turns on the piezo which deaggregates the powder particles and aerosolizes them into the user’s inhalation airstream. (Figure 1) The electronic flow sensor assures proper inspiratory airflow before activating the piezo eliminating the need for coordinated activities. The piezo vibrator generates the energy needed to efficiently deaggregate and deliver the dose, eliminating the need for high inspiratory flow rates to assure good dose delivery. In the DPI, dose delivery is achieved in a single, slow and smooth inhalation.
Advantages of DPN vs. ‘Wet’ Nebulizers:
Superior convenience and ease of use
- Faster delivery time (<30 seconds for most dose sizes)
- Handheld and battery operated
- Simple 3-step operation
- Dose reminders and dosing feedbacks
- Low cost (<$30.00)
- Multi-unit dose
Superior delivery performance and flexibility
- Higher lung dose efficiency (lower dose required)
- Improved stability of drug in dry state
- Better dose to dose consistency
- Nasal or lung delivery or both, via mask or mouthpiece
- Delivery to infants, preschool children, the elderly and those with compromised lung function or on mechanical ventilation
What Can the MicroDose DPI and DPN Deliver?
Both systems are dose size, drug and formulation flexible, with the ability to adjust performance through simple adjustment of the piezo drive circuitry. We have successfully delivered over 40 compounds, both small and large molecules, including insulin, other proteins and peptides, beta agonists, cortico-steroids, anticholinergics, antimuscarinics, antileukotrienes, antivirals, etc. The technology is also formulation flexible, able to handle an extremely broad variety of formulation approaches, including neat micronized or neat spray-dried formulations as well as lactose blends and co-spray dried blends. This ability gives our pharmaceutical partners unmatched flexibility during development of their new chemical entities.
The MicroDose inhalation systems provide platform technologies that are low cost, reusable and environmentally friendly, which can support a broad pipeline of products across all patient populations.
For more detailed information on MicroDose’s Dry Powder delivery systems please see the links below: